Tuesday 31 August 2010

The best performance ever

I know that we all have had that gorgeous experience of listening to a song that explains exactly what we feel. It’s amazing, I know. But what’s even more amazing is that a person can have the admirable capacity of putting such feelings into words and, moreover, into a song! We tend to think that one cannot go beyond that. And yet, some do. There are singers that can not only write incredibly touching songs, but also interpret them as if they were dying on stage!

Once upon a time Elvis Costello wrote a perfect song. A true work of art. A piece with so much feeling that, sung by him, was thought to be glorious and unbeatable. But one day, he invited Fiona Apple to sing it and she proved everyone wrong.
The song is called “I want you”. It tells the story of a boy who is deeply in love with a girl but she betrays him, and the boy’s love becomes an obsession. He uses the words “I want you” in order to hide his “I love you”, which causes him so much pain.

Luckily, I have never been in that situation, but Fiona surely has. Or maybe she’s the best actress in the whole world and knows like no one on earth how to play a character. I have never seen someone get so much into the song. Her angelical flawless face starts to transform and she ends up looking as a total psycho. When the song is over, she can’t even smile at the applause of the audience.

I would really like you to take a look at this amazing video and tell me what you think of it. I’m also sharing with you the lyrics in a google doc.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment